To determine whether pancreatic B cells show a constant secretion pattern during repeated stimulations, we have used a sequential hemolytic plaque assay to monitor their individual insulin release during several successive 30-min incubations in the presence of 16.7 mM glucose. We have found that the total B cell secretion did not vary significantly in these successive glucose stimulations and that, under these conditions, the majority of B cells that were stimulated to release insulin during the first incubation also secreted during the second, third, and, when this was tested, during the fourth incubation. Similarly, most of the B cells that did not release detectable amounts of insulin during the first incubation did not secrete also during the two (or three) subsequent secretion tests. Together, the two groups of B cells that showed a constant secretory pattern, represented approximately 75% of the entire B cell population. The remaining 25% of B cells shifted from a secreting to a non-secreting state, or vice versa, from one incubation to another. These observations were made under three different time frames in which we tested single B cells as well as B cell clusters at rather different intervals. These findings support the existence of distinct B cell subpopulations differing lastingly in their ability to secrete insulin in response to glucose.
E Giordano, D Bosco, V Cirulli, P Meda
Guidelines: The Editorial Board will only consider letters that we deem relevant and of interest to our readers. We will not post data that have not been subjected to peer review, nor will we post letters that are essentially a reiteration of another letter. All accepted letters will be posted on our website within one week of acceptance. We reserve the right to edit any letter for length, content, and clarity. Authors of all accepted letters will be asked to preview any changes. Authors will be notified by e-mail if their letters were not accepted. As this is a final decision, no appeals will be considered.
Specific requirements: All letters must be 400 words or fewer. You may enter the letter as plain text or HTML. The author's name and e-mail address are required, and will be posted with the letter. All possible conflicts of interest must be noted, even if they are not posted. If you wish to include a figure (keep in mind that non-peer-reviewed data will not be posted), please contact the editors directly at firstname.lastname@example.org.